Re: GPL question

From: mike3
Subject: Re: GPL question
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 13:03:34 -0700

On Oct 14, 6:55 pm, John Hasler <j...@dhh.gt.org> wrote:
> mike3 writes:
> > What I mean is if you choose to use GPL code in your programs, then if
> > you wish to distribute those programs, you must do so under GPL -- and
> > not just the GPLed part, but the entire original part that you put your
> > little heart and soul into making as well.
>
> So choose not to use GPL code.

Sure. I never said I _had_ to use GPL code.

> > What I'm talking about is where you _do_ use enough material that
> > qualifies for copyright. Then since you have agreed to the terms of the
> > license, you must now release any original work that uses that scrap of
> > GPL code as GPL, or not release it at all (or not use the code, but
> > that's understood, no?).
>
> Yes.  So what?  Would you rather be told that you cannot release the source
> at all and must pay $$ for every binary you distribute?

"So what?" Well, I'm talking about what I consider "viral". Would
I rather be told I could not release the code for my program and
must pay the author? Well, if I did not want to release the code,
maybe, but if I don't want to pay the author, that's a problem, now
isn't it? If I wanted to release the code and was told I couldn't that
would be a problem too. With the GPL, I may not have to pay the
author, but if I do not want to release the source, I have a problem.
If I do want to release the source, then it's fine. However you look
at it, if your interests clash with the license, then the only right
and
legal thing to do is to simply not enter into the agreement, and not
use the code. That's the bottom line.