Re: GPL question

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: GPL question
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 20:51:46 +0200 (CEST)

   >    When you choose dynamic linking, you are not including the library,
   >    but only its interface in your product. The users of your product
   >    may or may not opt to use it with the library in question.
   >
   > You are including code as well, macros for example.

   If they are part of the interface (e.g. some convenience macros), [...]

A macro is code, which gets expanded into the program, that code which
was licensed under say the GPL is now part of the compiled program,
that compiled program must be licensed under the GPL if it is going to
be distributed.  Nothing to do with convience or interfaces, but
everything to do with derivative work and how code becomes part of the program.

   > The binary is also combined into one big blob when run,

   But not even by me. The user chooses to combine it. I don't. For all I
   care, the user may choose to combine it with some other library, which
   he may even write himself, with a compatible interface.

A compiled work still contains code, and that is all that matters.
The compiler will expand macros, it will inline parts of the code, etc
etc etc.  Interfaces cannot be copyrighted to begin with.

   P.S. Please reply to newsgroup.

gnu-misc-discuss is actually a mailing list.