Re: Monsoon settles: complies with GPL, pays undisclosed sum

From: Geza Giedke
Subject: Re: Monsoon settles: complies with GPL, pays undisclosed sum
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 09:36:44 +0000 (UTC)

rjack <danw6144@insightbb.com> wrote:
> Geza Giedke wrote:
> > The case of GPL-violation by Monsoon Multimedia that was discussed
> > here recently has been settled out of court.

> The GPL is D.O.A. under a F.R.Civ.P. Rule 12 Motion to Dismiss in a US
> federal court. After the plaintiff's filed a voluntary Motion to Dismiss
> it was inevitable that GPL supporters would trumpet "the GPL won in
> court". Magnanimous claims without the GPL so much as being read by a
> judge -- same old, tired FSF FUD story -- just a different day.
> :)

I don't know what "D.O.A." means, but I'm happy if the GPL allows to settle
all problems in a matter of weeks out of court and amicably. Having
seen how unbelievably long lawsuits can be drawn out (even in the
absence of any evidence), a license that is clear enough that it never
needs to be examined by a judge is as good as it gets IMHO.

Anyway, there's no "FUD" involved here, it's a *joint* press release
by both parties involved, simply describing what they decided to do
about perceived GPL violations.

regards
 Geza

--
 Geza Giedke

 Max-Planck Institut fuer Quantenoptik, Garching