Re: Monsoon settles: complies with GPL, pays undisclosed sum

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Monsoon settles: complies with GPL, pays undisclosed sum
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 15:12:48 +0100

John Hasler wrote:

> rjack wrote:
> > If the suit goes forward (which I seriously doubt) the District Court
> > will dismiss due to failure to state a federal claim. Contract claims are
> > heard under the common law of state jurisdictions.
>
> Odd, then, that the defendants paid money to the plaintiffs and agreed to

I doubt that the defendants paid more than $350 (plaintiff's filing
fee). SFLC is serving its "clients" pro bono, after all.

> abide by all terms of the GPL in order to avoid going to trial, isn't it?
> Seems like this happens over and over again.  I wonder why...

amicus_curious opined:

: Until a settlement or a judge's ruling has an adverse financial
: impact on a GPL violator's business, the GPL will not have been
: tested.  The notion of suing people to force them to publish
: original or even modified source with no commercial value is
: rather pointless, since the source is so readily available from
: others..  The day that a company has to release source and
: project build information for a product that it had built up a
: successful business in regard to selling the binary code
: licenses has not yet arrived.

"The revolution might take significantly longer than anticipated."

                                     -- The GNU Monk Harald Welte