Re: Monsoon settles: complies with GPL, pays undisclosed sum

From: rjack
Subject: Re: Monsoon settles: complies with GPL, pays undisclosed sum
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 12:32:09 -0400

Richard Tobin wrote:
In article <6NydndNqK-c8X7ranZ2dnUVZ_u6rnZ2d@insightbb.com>,
rjack  <danw6144@insightbb.com> wrote:
The GPL is D.O.A. under a F.R.Civ.P. Rule 12 Motion to Dismiss in a US federal court.

Seems to work though, doesn't it?

-- Richard

The GPL and Linux keeps Micro$oft out of hot water with the Antitrust Division of the U.S. Department of Justice. Empowering Micro$oft to maintain its hegemony in the U.S. software market without D.O.J. interference is certainly triumphant evidence that the GPL works.

"The number of proprietary operating systems is growing, not shrinking, so competition in this market continues quite apart from the fact that the GPL ensures the future availability of Linux and other Unix offshoots." Wallace v. IBM et al. (No. 06-2454)(7th Cir. 2006)

I just wish we could stop Free Software advocates from whining about Micro$oft and monopolistic practices since the GPL has so effectively
grown "the number of proprietary operating systems".

Thank God the U.S. courts now recognize the powerful GPL works and prevents Micro$oft from needing antitrust restraint!!!!
:)