Re: Monsoon settles: complies with GPL, pays undisclosed sum

From: Geza Giedke
Subject: Re: Monsoon settles: complies with GPL, pays undisclosed sum
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 16:57:31 +0000 (UTC)

rjack <danw6144@insightbb.com> wrote:
> The evidence for the legal enforceability must be based on federal
> statutes and established case law. *Copious legal evidence* in the form
> of both federal statutes and appellate case rulings has been presented
> arguing against the claim of GPL enforceability. There exists an abysmal
> *lack of legal evidence* cited to support the enforceability of the GPL.

all I care for is that the GPL is adhered to. If that can be achieved
without courts - so much the better. If there is very little legal
evidence that you have to pay your restaurant bill it may be because
it is *clear* that you have to, not because it is dobtful.

> The GPL has *never been tested in court* and never will be if the SFLC
> has a way to prevent actual judicial review. The SFLC has displayed only
> a consistent *lack of legal evidence* for GPL enforceability.

not so: in German courts, the GPL has been upheld repeatedly:
eg. against Skype in 2007:
(in German): http://www.golem.de/0707/53684.html
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/07/24/174240

or against Sitecom in 2004:
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/49377  (in German)
http://www.golem.de/0407/32547.html
(no english link)

regards
 Geza

--
 Geza Giedke

 Max-Planck Institut fuer Quantenoptik, Garching