GNU/Linux Naming

From: mike3
Subject: GNU/Linux Naming
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 00:46:00 -0800 (PST)

Hi.

I do not see the reason why "GNU/Linux" should be preferred over just
"Linux" to refer to the system. The arugment seems to be that the GNU
project, which contributed a great deal to the Free operating system
called "Linux" or "GNU/Linux", should get credited for these
contributions in the name. There is nothing wrong with giving credit
-- in fact, it should be done. But in a NAME? Does this mean we have
to name movies, books, etc. even all computer software out there, in
such a way as to credit the creators and contributors? There are other
ways to do that, you know. I do not understand why *names* are the
appropriate place to give credit. What's the reason, anyway?