Re: GNU/Linux Naming

From: mike3
Subject: Re: GNU/Linux Naming
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 12:50:58 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 5, 1:25 pm, David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> wrote:
> mike3 <mike4...@yahoo.com> writes:

> >> Look up his posting history in this group.  If you entertain the notion
> >> that he is not a troll in the Usenet sense, he would certainly appear so
> >> in the classical sense when considering the leasurely speed and the
> >> time-limited nature of his comprehension.
>
> > The problem is though I really want to understand this,
>
> Why would you then not bother looking for any reference or indicate that
> you have bothered to read one before posting?  You post via Google.
> That's a search engine.
>
> Go figure.

If I never looked at a reference, I would not have the questions,
as I wouldn't have read anything that would trouble me. The
problem is not that I do not look at FAQs, but that the _specific_
questions I get do not appear in them. "Why GNU/Linux?"
does little to nothing to answer "Why are Names the Appropriate
Place for Credit?"

> > and to see if it's really as reasonable as is said.
>
> But you can't hear anything here except what "is said".
>
> > And perhaps, if I (or anyone else) find a problem, then it may be
> > remedied.
>
> But that's utter nonsense: you can only "remedy" problems that stick
> around, like a web page (for which you have not bothered looking).  You
> can't remedy a discussion.

I didn't say *I* could "remedy" the problem. I perceived what may
have been a problem. Perhaps I was wrong, but if I am, I would
like understanding. I was saying that bringing attention to
the problem is better than letting it sit and fester.

> > How can I do it without trolling, when questions pop up
> > in my mind that I want to ask?
>
> By looking for the answer or an FAQ or following up on the references of
> whatever made that question "pop up".

I've done that but can't find anything! I've looked up "GNU Linux
why credit should be given in names" on Google and didn't
find anything that addressed specifically why names are the
appropriate place for the credit of the GNU project to be given,
just whether or not credit should be given and that somehow
not including GNU in the _name_ is not giving the needed
credit.

> But your posting history is
>
> a) exclusively asking loaded frequently asked questions

How do I ask them without the load? I've often been frustrated
by not being able to ask questions without load, as I often
do not intend the load.

> b) never bother looking for the respective FAQ resources

I look at the FAQs and other resources (see above), but
I get questions that do not seem to have answers, like
"why are names the appropriate place for credit? Why
should credit be given _in the name_?" I haven't found a
good answer to that in any of these resources so far.

> c) never getting to a conclusion

Although I might get to a conclusion, I may also realize
that my original conclusion may have had a problem, so,
well, I go and discuss it again.