Re: GNU/Linux Naming

From: Keith Thompson
Subject: Re: GNU/Linux Naming
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 14:45:00 -0800

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra <rms@1407.org> writes:
> On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 08:17:31PM -0800, Keith Thompson wrote:
>> "Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org> writes:
>> >    I do not see the reason why "GNU/Linux" should be preferred over just
>> >    "Linux" to refer to the system.
>> > [...]
>> >    What's the reason, anyway?
>> >
>> > The reason is that Linux is not a operating system, it is the kernel
>> > of one.  The operating system is called GNU.
>>
>> Is there a widely agreed-upon meaning of the phrase "operating
>> system"?  Is the kernel considered part of the operating system?  If I
>> install a bunch of GNU software on a Solaris system, but I install it
>> in my home directory, is that GNU software part of the operating
>> system?
>
> If you are from a school where the kernel is the operating system, then
> stop being an hypocrit and don't call that other operating system
> "windows" but instead NT.

Don't accuse me of hypocricy without some evidence.

I simply asked a few questions.  I thought about mentioning that I
have no agenda, and no preconceived notions about what the answers
should be, but I didn't think it would be necessary.

Alfred, quoted above, said that "The operating system is called GNU".
That seemed to imply that the kernel is not part of the operating
system (since the Linux kernel is not part of GNU).  I was seeking
clarification on that point.

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) <kst-u@mib.org>