Re: GNU/Linux Naming

From: mike3
Subject: Re: GNU/Linux Naming
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 19:47:39 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 6, 6:49 pm, "Noah Slater" <nsla...@bytesexual.org> wrote:
> On 07/12/2007, mike3 <mike4...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > *Why must the credit be given in the _name_ and not somewhere else?*
>
> Jeez, I see why people call you a troll.

Even though that's not the intention. I just haven't yet
(or maybe I missed something) heard any response to the
question itself: I looked through the links I was given and
could not find the information.

> While I think people should keep an open mind (obviously, however, I
> have not been on this list very long) I do think that instead of
> asking the same questions over and over you should read around the
> subject your self and answer your own questions. A good place to start
> would be to buy a copy of "Free Software, Free Society" from the GNU
> Press and take it from there.

I have tried reading the FAQs, like I said in my post (did you
red that), but could not find the answer. Obviously it's not as
"frequently asked" a question as I thought.

> As for your specific question "Why must..." there is no definitive
> reply - and I think you know this. The FSF/GNU Project feel that it
> /should/ be done this way.

OK, then, that's enough of an answer for now.
I didn't know, though: I thought there was more of an answer,
but it seems there isn't.

> You may disagree, and in fact many people
> do. It's just an opinion. You're not going to find the answer in woven
> into the fabric of the universe or written down in the bible.

I didn't think I would. After all, GNU/FSF is not the creator of the
cosmos.

> I think you are amply armed with the facts about the history of the
> GNU Project, the roll the GNU Project plays in comprising a typical
> POSIX operating system and all of the historical/political issues
> surrounding Free Software and the GNU Project.

I did.

> So, the answer to you question is "because the GNU Project wants it
> that way" - I really don't see how you could hope for much more.

Alright, then, I guess I'll have to settle for that.

However, I'm wondering about a possibility that I thought of
on my own, just now, as of this posting. Maybe the reason
GNU deserves credit in the _name_ is because the GNU
project made so much of the system (GNU comprises most
of the non-kernel stuff in the OS), and not giving them credit
there and instead giving it somewhere else may be perceivable
as belittling their contribution. Could this be so?