Re: GNU/Linux Naming

From: Noah Slater
Subject: Re: GNU/Linux Naming
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 14:46:13 +0000

On 07/12/2007, David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:
> Uh, no.  The POSIX (Portable Operating System Interface) specification
> specifies at several levels what comprises a UNIX-like API.

Thanks, I am aware of this. I think it a reasonable enough thing for
me to suggest that when we have a specification that outlines an
operating interface it can be taken to point to what is expected from
an operating system. Given that you accept that statement it's not
unreasonable to state that POSIX lays out the definition of what it
means to be a *certain type* of operating system, namely a POSIX one.

--
Noah Slater <http://bytesexual.org/>

"Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so
far as society is free to use the results." - R. Stallman