Re: GNU/Linux Naming

From: mike3
Subject: Re: GNU/Linux Naming
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 11:45:36 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 8, 2:37 am, "Alfred M. Szmidt" <a...@gnu.org> wrote:
>    > The GNU project deserves credit not only because the GNU project
>    > wrote the GNU operating system, but also because they named it.
>    > One does not go about calling BSD for System V, despite them
>    > being very similar.
>
>    I wasn't questioning that the GNU project deserved credit, I was
>    wondering why the credit should be *in the name* -- note that
>    well. Why is the **name** the proper place as opposed to somewhere
>    else?
>
> Because it is the name that one uses when one is refering to GNU.

So then the reason for crediting of GNU having to be in the _name_ and
not in any other location like documentation or something is because
GNU
comprises most of the system, so it's name then naturally should apply
to the complete system in some way, hence "GNU/Linux", which
emphasizes that the system is GNU, with the Linux kernel added in to
form a complete operating system, and by denying the GNU name in
the system's name, opting for credit to be placed somewhere else, it
may
be thought of as belittling the GNU part, even though that is larger
than the
Linux part. Am I right here?