Re: GPL Mere Aggregation question

From: avesty
Subject: Re: GPL Mere Aggregation question
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 11:00:52 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 27, 1:14 pm, John Hasler <j...@dhh.gt.org> wrote:

> Ad. writes:
> > it would seem to me that I can package the GPL software in the
> > installer along with the commercial software.
>
> Correct.  You will, of course, have to either provide the source on the CD
> or a written offer as specified in the GPL.

Is there a difference between 'on the CD' and 'included as part of an
installation file'? Our installer is just a single .exe file that
unpacks and installs the software. I'd want to put the GPL software/
source in with it (if that's allowed). I guess it's similar to putting
it in a self extracting .exe.

> > I spoke with someone from the company that sells a commercial license to
> > the GPL software and was told that because the GPL is a viral license...
>
> There is no such thing as a "viral license".

My interpretation of what he was referring to was that the GPL will
only let you combine GPL software with other GPL software. Calling it
'viral' makes it sound scarier. I don't want to incorporate the GPL
software into my own software, just install it on end users machines
as painlessly as possible. Our users aren't really technically savvy,
so doing that as part of our application installer is significantly
simpler than pointing them at sourceforge.

> > Can we also make the GPL software/source available from our own web
> > server?
>
> Of course.  Again, you will need to comply with the GPL.

>From the FAQ it seems that this is as straightforward as making it
available for download, so long as the source is also there.

> > If so, at the end of installation of our product can we provide a link
> > for users to our website to download install the GPL software/source?
>
> Of course.
> --
> John Hasler

Thanks for the comments John.