Re: GPL Mere Aggregation question

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: GPL Mere Aggregation question
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 21:07:28 +0100 (CET)

   >    Just after some straight answers... The company selling a
   >    commercial license to the GPL software is obviously motivated
   >    to sell me one, as opposed to help clarify the GPL.
   >
   > What do you mean with a commercial license?

   They have release the software under two licenses - the GPL and
   what they call a commercial license. The commercial license lets
   you bundle/ resell etc however you please.

The GPL allows for the same.

Maybe if you could explain what you wish to do, then one can give you
a better answer with references to the FAQ and other data.

   >    It seems quite difficult to get straight answers on what
   >    exactly is/isn't ok with the GPL...
   >
   > Try reading the license, it is very clear even for non-lawyer
   > people.

   I disagree. There are plenty of spots in the GPL that way too open
   to interpration, which seems to be exactly the problem here. I and
   the FAQ interpret it one way, the company interprets it another.

You probobly never looked at a non-free softwrae license, those are
very obscure and even more open to interpretation.  But in this case,
the GPL is very clear; see section 5 of the GPLv3, and this is from
GPLv2: