gamedev : does art-license affect code-license ?

From: Robert Noll
Subject: gamedev : does art-license affect code-license ?
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 00:45:26 +0100

Hi !

If art (textures, models, audio...) is under a GPL,
does that mean it can only be used in applications (e.g. games) that are also
GPL ?

I didn't find a clear answer to that in the faq, and the people in
irc(freenode/#gnu) told me the general opinion is that
the license of the artwork doesn't affect the license of the code, but that i
should ask here as well.

Is there something like a (semi-)official statement about this somewhere ?

best regards
ghoulsblade

PS : is it ok to use GPL2 art in a GPL3 app ?