Re: I really don't know where to post this. GPL License question

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: I really don't know where to post this. GPL License question
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 12:33:19 +0100

Tim Smith wrote:
[...]
> If, on the other hand, you mean that you might take the display code
> from the PDF reader, and put that code IN your program, so it is just a
> subroutine you call, then you are going to have to put your code under
> GPL.

http://www.catb.org/~esr/Licensing-HOWTO.html

<quote>

consider the case of two scientific papers which reference each
other. The fact that paper B calls paper A (references it for
support) does not make B a derivative work of A. This remains
true whether B and A are published together in a symposium
(analogous to static linkage) or separately (analogous to
dynamic linkage). Computer programs are defined in 17 USC as
literary works

</quote>

See also

http://www.usfca.edu/law/determann/softwarecombinations060403.pdf

"Plaintiffs’ copyrights are unique and valuable property whose market
value is impossible to assess"

                             -- SOFTWARE FREEDOM LAW CENTER, INC.