Re: Document Freedom Day: March 26th ok for list? Yes or no

From: Tim Smith
Subject: Re: Document Freedom Day: March 26th ok for list? Yes or no
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 21:23:58 -0800

In article <mailman.7694.1203519500.18990.gnu-misc-discuss@gnu.org>,
 Ciaran O'Riordan <ciaran@fsfe.org> wrote:
> So that you can evaluate it and give me a yes or no answer, I suppose I
> should point you to the website:
>
>                            Document Freedom Day!
>                         http://documentfreedom.org/
>
> Did I mention that the day is March 26th?  Just FYI.  I hope this doesn't
> make anyone fearful, uncertain, or doubtful about anything.

Sounds nice.  Will they also be working to make ODF free?  In
particular, consider Sun's agreement to not assert patents against users
of ODF:

   Sun irrevocably covenants that, subject solely to the reciprocity
   requirement described below, it will not seek to enforce any of its
   enforceable U.S. or foreign patents against any implementation of
   the Open Document Format for Office Applications (OpenDocument) v1.0
   Specification, or of any subsequent version thereof ("OpenDocument
   Implementation") in which development Sun participates to the point
   of incurring an obligation, as defined by the rules of OASIS, to
   grant (or commit to grant) patent licenses or make equivalent
   non-assertion covenants. Notwithstanding the commitment above, Sun's
   covenant shall not apply and Sun makes no assurance, covenant or
   commitment not to assert or enforce any or all of its patent rights
   against any individual, corporation or other entity that asserts,
   threatens or seeks at any time to enforce its own or another party's
   U.S. or foreign patents or patent rights against any OpenDocument
   Implementation.

   This statement is not an assurance either (i) that any of Sun's
   issued patents cover an OpenDocument Implementation or are
   enforceable, or (ii) that an OpenDocument Implementation would not
   infringe patents or other intellectual property rights of any third
   party.

   No other rights except those expressly stated in this Patent
   Statement shall be deemed granted, waived, or received by
   implication, or estoppel, or otherwise.

   Similarly, nothing in this statement is intended to relieve Sun of
   its obligations, if any, under the applicable rules of OASIS.

Notice that this only covers ODF 1.0, and future versions *from* *OASIS*
(and then only if Sun participates sufficiently to include an obligation
to grant a patent license).

Now think about that and how it relates to freedom.  What if I want to
make my own format, based on ODF 1.0, perhaps for internal use?  Being
able to adopt something for my own needs is an important freedom.  For
software, it is one of GNU's four freedoms.  But hey, if I do that, I'm
not covered by the non-assertion.  Sun can freely sue my ass off over
their patents.

And shouldn't an open standard be under the control of the community or
of a recognized standards body?  If OASIS doesn't toe Sun's line, all
Sun has to do is go home, and ODF is frozen--versions whose development
Sun doesn't participate in don't have the patent license.

Why doesn't Sun actually free ODF: promise not to assert their relevant
patents against any document format, and turn *real* control of ODF over
to OASIS?  Do you have any upcoming protests or marches or whatever to
urge Sun to do this?

--
--Tim Smith