Re: "My dad is a pirate."

From: spike1
Subject: Re: "My dad is a pirate."
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 07:08:40 +0000

In the sacred domain of comp.os.linux.advocacy,
Rex Ballard <rex.ballard@gmail.com> didnst hastily scribble thusly:
> On Feb 14, 12:34 pm, Ingoramus21499 <ingoramus21...@NOSPAM.
> 21499.invalid> wrote:
>> I am a pirate. I download music and movies without paying for them,
>> using Bit Torrent. I also share them after I download them and make
>> sure that my share ratio (amount of gigabytes that I upload, divided
>> by gigabytes that I download) stays above 2, so that I contribute to
>> the worldwide piracy.

> So you are a self-confessed felon, you did know that copyright
> violation is a felony punishable by 5 years in jail.  Pirating movies
> is a 15 year jail term.  In addition, you could face a fine of up to
> $250,000.  This is United States law, in other countries, the
> penalties are even more severe.  In some places, they just chop your
> hand off.

Now now rex, you know as well as anyone else that the more severe penalties
are reserved for the people who SELL the copyrighted works, make pirate dvds
that they sell in pubs and street corners, etc, rather than just download
them for their own use. OK, bittorrent has a side effect that you do
distribute, but sensible use of that can limit how MUCH.

--
|                          |What to do if you find yourself stuck in a crack|
|  spike1@freenet.co.uk    |in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|