Re: "My dad is a pirate" but "Mark Kent is a clueless moron."

From: Troy Kirkland
Subject: Re: "My dad is a pirate" but "Mark Kent is a clueless moron."
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 12:43:13 -0500

"Hadron" <hadronquark@googlemail.com> wrote in message
news:fputjr$ij7$3@registered.motzarella.org...
> "Troy Kirkland" <kirk@google.com> writes:
>
>> "Hadron" <hadronquark@googlemail.com> wrote in message

>>> If ever there was a time that Mark Kent revealed himself to be a troll
>>> it is now.
>>>
>>> Listen to what he is saying : a company who employs someone is not
>>> entitled to the things that that employee is paid to work on. He is
>>> is a troll or absolutely making it with a tele-tubbie.
>>
>> Absolutely amazing. Just when I thought that nobody could be more
>> clueless
>> than Schestowitz or "Mark S. Bilk" this Kent troll comes along with this
>> hillarious suggestion.
>>
>> Aside from the blatant stupidity... it simply makes zero sense at all.
>> Take
>> for example some research being done at IBM. The researcher is being paid
>> salary by IBM. The company (IBM) is also the one funding the research and
>> "assuming the risk" because it's completely likely that the research
>> might
>> not pan out in the end. Depending on the research being done, the cost of
>> the facilities and equipment could easily run $10's of millions of
>> dollars
>> which is yet another investment that IBM is making.
>>
>> According to the Kent idiot... if something is discovered or invented
>> from
>> all of this then IBM who paid the salary and put up all of the investment
>> and took all of the risk, they would be nothing! The researcher would get
>> keep everything and simply walk out the door.
>>
>> This is just absurd! No wonder that Mark Kent is an unemployed janitor.
>> What
>> a sort of idiot would even suggest something so stupid.
>
> It's amazing isn't it? And the COLA gang sit there at his feet
> agreeing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>

>>> FWIW, I do agree with stopping the selling of patents to a degree. Use
>>> it or lose it in other words.
>>
>> Couldn't this be gotten around by granting an exclusive "license" to the
>> patent which would effectively be the same thing. And companies do
>> license
>> patents all the time which is completely valid as far as I'm concerned.
>
> Which is why you patent something - so people can use it for a fee.

There's a reason why things are done the way they are today instead of the
ridiculous way that the Mark Kent idiot suggests. Primarily because despite
some flaws, it's basically a fair system. If any company were stupid enough
to follow the Kent model here's what would happen:

Pfizer Pharmaceutical - Hires researcher "Dr. Smart" and pays him $220k/year
for 10 years.
Pfizer Pharmaceutical - Provides "Dr. Smart" with office and lab space and
sends him to medical conferences around the world.
Pfizer Pharmaceutical - Supplies "Dr. Smart" with several $10's of millions
of dollars in specialized lab equipment.

One day "Dr. Smart" makes a breakthrough discovery in cancer research and
gets a patent. According to the Kent idiot Pfizer gets nothing. Despite
taking a risk by investing over a $100 million into the research they get
nothing.

Dr. Smart would immediately get job offers from every other pharmaceutical
company out there for millions of dollars. The only reason being is that
with this insane model they would be able to buy the $100+ million worth of
investment/research that Pfizer invested in for pennies on the dollar.

This has to be the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time. How freaking
stupid to you have to be not to realize that companies who invest millions
of dollars in research and salary are the *PROPER* owners of the patents.
Mark Kent's stupidity knows no bounds!