Re: SFLC's GPL court enforcement -- track record

From: Moshe Goldfarb
Subject: Re: SFLC's GPL court enforcement -- track record
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 14:21:34 -0400

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 18:51:31 +0100, Alexander Terekhov wrote:

> Hilarious.
>
> http://www.softwarefreedom.org/news/2008/mar/17/busybox-verizon/
>
> As if they've sued that tiny Actiontec and not Verizon...
>
> I also notice that Verizon has made no changes at all regarding
>
> http://www.softwarefreedom.org/news/2007/dec/07/busybox/verizon.pdf
>
> "Upon information and belief, Verizon distributes to its customers the
> Actiontec MI424WR wireless router (“Infringing Product”), which contains
> embedded executable software (“Firmware”). Defendant also provides the
> Firmware corresponding to the Infringing Product for download via its
> website, at http://www2.verizon.net/micro/actiontec/actiontec.asp.";
>
> Still no word about the GPL and/or source code.
>
> So much about the "power" of the GNU GPL.
>
> regards,
> alexander.

The problem with the GNU GPL is that it is so confusing that the people
making decisions are leery of using Open Source code because they can't
determine positively what the impact, if any, could be to their business.

Some of this is due to confusion and misunderstanding of the GPL, but
that's really the point.

--
Moshe Goldfarb
Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: