NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 16 April 2008 Panel on the Futures of the Internet

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 16 April 2008 Panel on the Futures of the Internet
Date: 14 Apr 2008 10:40:26 -0400

  what="official announcement"
  sponsors="NYU Information Law Institute, Free Culture @ NYU, The Internet
Society NY"
  boosters="NYU Computers and Society, NYU Association for Computer Machinery,
NYU Women in Computing"
  note="arrive early"
  issues="the right to own a computer, common carriage">

 Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 12:29:14 -0400 (EDT)
 From: Evan Korth <korth@cs.nyu.edu>
 To: Computers_and_society_announcements@cs.nyu.edu,ACM chapter
<acm@cs.nyu.edu>,women-in-computing <winc@cs.nyu.edu>
 Subject: [Computers_and_society_announcements] Futures of the Internet Event,
Wed. April 16, 6:30pm, Vanderbilt 206, NYU Law

 This is going to be awesome.  Check out the roster of internet superstars.
 Unfortunately I teach from 5:00-8:00 on Wednesday nights so I cannot make
 it.  I hope some of you can take my place.

 e.

 ----------------------

 *Futures of the Internet*

 *Wed., April 16
 Panel: 6:30-8pm, Reception 8-8:30pm
 Vanderbilt Hall 206, NYU Law School*
 *20 Washington Square South*

Map<http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&client=firefox-a&q=40+Washington+Square+S,+New+York,+NY+10012,+USA&ie=UTF8&z=16&iwloc=addr>

 *

 What will come of the next decade on the Internet? We often take for granted
 the state of the net today, but there's no guarantee that it will remain
 this way. Will the digital future be dystopian, or is there a brighter
 outlook ahead than some may believe? Our panelists -- thinkers and net
 visionaries -- will provide their perspectives on the future of the net,
 with backgrounds ranging from art, law, technology, politics, media,
 culture, and entrepreneurship.  We will tap in to each speaker's knowledge
 to provide a unique vision of the digital future, and will engage with
 members of the audience to further the exploration of what lies ahead.

 Speakers:

 *Lauren Cornell*
 Executive Director, Rhizome
 http://www.rhizome.org/

 *Clay Shirky*
 Author, Here Comes Everybody: The Power of Organizing Without Organizations
 Adjunct Professor, NYU ITP
 http://www.shirky.com <http://www.shirky.com>

 *Jimmy Wales*
 Founder, Wikipedia and Wikia
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimbo_Wales

 *Tim Wu*
 Professor, Columbia Law School
 http://www.timwu.org/

 *Jonathan Zittrain*
 Professor, Oxford University, Visiting Professor, NYU LawAuthor, The Future
 of the Internet -- and How to Stop It
 http://www.jz.org

 * This event is free and open to the public. *