NYC LOCAL: Tuesday 20 May 2008 Perl Seminar NY: Clarifications and Thund

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Tuesday 20 May 2008 Perl Seminar NY: Clarifications and Thunderations
Date: 20 May 2008 04:10:27 -0400

  what="official Perl Seminar NY announcement">

 Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 11:34:12 -0400
 From: James E Keenan <jkeen@verizon.net>
 Subject: Perl Seminar NY This Tuesday May 20
 To: perlsemny@yahoogroups.com, ny@lists.pm.org

 We'll have our final meeting of our 2007-08 season in 3 parts as
 follows:

 Tuesday May 20
 6:15 pm
 NYPC User Group
 481 8th Avenue, Suite 550
 (Ramada New Yorker Hotel, btw West 34 & 35 Sts, Manhattan)

 Agenda:
 I.  Debunking Myths about Perl

 This talk aims to give Perl users some ammunition to debunk some of
 the myths about Perl:
 * hard to read
 * hard to test
 * hard to find programmers
 * no jobs available
 * dead

 *We* know these are myths, but it's helpful to practice the arguments
 needed to refute them.  We'll be channeling Steve Lembark and Tim
 Bunce on this one.

 II.  Lightning Talks

 So far we have these 5-minute talks scheduled:

 David Golden:  The Oslo Accords on Perl QA and Testing
 David Golden:  Current Status of Vanilla/Strawberry Perl
 Glenn Maciag:  Regex Stump the Chumps
 Arthur Goldstein:  Parse::Stallion
 Morrie Siegel:  Recursive Regexes in Perl 5.10

 III.  And since this is our last meeting of the season, we'll adjourn
 afterwards to Stout on West 33 St between 6th and 7th Avenues to
 celebrate Perl's continued (20+ years) life.