Re: Using non-GPL libraries in a GPL program

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Using non-GPL libraries in a GPL program
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 15:47:03 +0200

John Hasler wrote:

> Juha Nieminen writes:
> > Does this mean that I cannot use an MIT-licensed library in a GPL program
> > (even though I can use it in basically everything else)?

Welcome to the GNU Republic. The most funny thing is that under GNUtian
viral theory of "work based on" and "relicensing" concept, the GPL is
actually incompatible with public domain because unprotected material
can't be copyright licensed at all.

http://fsfeurope.org/projects/gplv3/barcelona-rms-transcript.en.html

"The idea is that there are some other Free Software licences which
are compatible with the GPL meaning that if a program is released
under one of those licences, that licence gives, effectively,
permission to relicence under the GPL. There are two ways that can
happen. Some licences explicitly say "you can also use this program
under the GNU GPL". In other cases, it's because the licence is so
permissive that to relicence it under the GNU GPL is permitted."

> Of course you can.  You distribute the resulting combined work under the
> GPL, thereby complying with both the terms of the GPL and the MIT license.

Uncle Hasler, uncle Hasler. The distribution right is about copies
(material objects -- see 17 USC 101 and 106), not about licensing of
copyrighted work. The GPL insists on COPYRIGHT LICENSING "the entire
work, as a whole, under this License to anyone who comes into possession
of a copy."

Only copyright owners and authorized sublisenors can copyright
(sub)license protected material. And while the MIT license does allow
sublicensing ("Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any
person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation
files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction,
including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge,
publish, distribute, SUBLICENSE...", the GPL shoots itself in the foot
proclaiming that "Sublicensing is not allowed ... the recipient
automatically receives a license from the original licensors" (that is
original MIT license in the case of "MIT-licensed library in a GPL
program").

http://gng.z505.com/index.htm
too, whereas GNU cannot.)