Re: Using non-GPL libraries in a GPL program

From: Gordon Burditt
Subject: Re: Using non-GPL libraries in a GPL program
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 03:29:02 -0500

>  I apologize, for this must be a FAQ, but I just couldn't find it in
>the official FAQ.
>
>  Suppose that I use, for example, an MIT-licensed library in a GPL
>program (which I then distribute).
>
>  1) I assume this is ok. Is this correct?

I think this is considerably less than obvious.  Another interesting
question is whether a GPLv2 library can be distributed as part of a
GPLv3 program or vice versa.

>  2) What happens to the license of that library? Does it retain its own
>MIT license, or does it get GPL'd?

If you do not own the library in question, you cannot change its
license.  Things only "get GPL'd" when the owner of the copyright
distributes it with that license.