Re: Red Hat pays $800,000 + costs for a patent deal

From: Rick
Subject: Re: Red Hat pays $800,000 + costs for a patent deal
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 11:50:04 -0500

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 09:40:48 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

> [...]
>>   particular legal advantage in relation to the third-party patent risk
>>   of the whole FOSS community--when commercial redistributors of FOSS
>>   choose to settle patent litigation. SFLC welcomes Red Hat's efforts
>>   on the community's behalf."
>> ------
>>
>> PJ of Groklaw also claims that the deal is "Compatible with GPLv3" and
>> "harmonious with GPLv2".
>>
>> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20080611191302741 (Red Hat
>> Makes History With Patent Settlement - Compatible with GPLv3)
>>
>> ------
>> You've probably been wondering why I've been quiet, when there is news
>> about a patent settlement between Red Hat and Firestar and DataTern in
>> the JBoss litigation. It's because I wanted to be positive I was
>> correct that this is the first known settlement involving patents that
>> is harmonious with GPLv3. It is.
>>
>> It's also harmonious with GPLv2, of course, but this is history in the
>> making, friends. They settled a lawsuit brought against them in a way
>> that licenses patents without violating the GPL. I'll show you how, but
>> first, so you know I'm not just dreaming, here's the answer I got from
>> Richard Fontana, Open Source Licensing and Patent Counsel, Red Hat, to
>> my question about whether this is the first known GPLv3 patent
>> agreement that works:
>>
>>   Most patent settlements and similar agreements are confidential, but
>>   to my knowledge this is the first patent settlement that satisfies
>>   the requirements of GPL version 3. Indeed, it really goes further
>>   than GPLv3 in the degree to which upstream and downstream parties
>>   receive safety from the patents at issue here. (And this is not a
>>   case of trying to find a loophole in the GPL, but rather a desire on
>>   our part to reach an agreement that provided broad patent protection
>>   for developers, distributors and users, while complying fully with
>>   the conditions of the licenses of the software we and our community
>>   distribute.)
>> ------
>>
>> ROFL
>>
>> regards,
>> alexander.
>>
>> --
>> http://gng.z505.com/index.htm
>> (GNG is a derecursive recursive derecursion which pwns GNU since it can
>> be infinitely looped as GNGNGNGNG...NGNGNG... and can be said backwards
>> too, whereas GNU cannot.)
>>

> I love the comment on this page:
>
> <quote>
> So Red Hat got protection for their commercial offering and for upstream
> developers as long as their work shows up in a Red Hat product but not
> other commercial products? Isn't this what Novell and Microsoft did?
> Didn't Red Hat spend extraordinary effort to paint Novell as the most
> evil thing ever to happen to Open Source for having done so? Am I
> missing something or, despite carefully crafted words to create the
> illusion otherwise, has Red Hat just become a giant hypocrite?

I like this:

<http://practical-tech.com/business/one-small-lawsuit-for-red-hat-one-big-
legal-step-for-open-source/>

[quote]
Another day , another patent lawsuit settled. Where the script changes is
that Red Hat’s settlement covers not just its programs, but any open-
source programs connected with the settlement.

“Typically when a company settles a patent lawsuit, it focuses on getting
safety for itself,” said Rob Tiller, Red Hat’s VP and assistant general
counsel for intellectual property, in a statement. “But that was not
enough for us, we wanted broad provisions that covered our customers, who
place trust in us, and the open source community, whose considerable
efforts benefit our business.”
[/quote]

... and this:

<http://www.itnews.com.au/News/78210,red-hat-settles-hibernate-patent-
suits.aspx>

[quote]
Red Hat claims that the terms of the settlement will offer broad
protection for upstream developers, downstream distributors and Red Hat's
customers.

"We wanted broad provisions that covered our customers, who place trust
in us, and the open source community, whose considerable efforts benefit
our business," said a statement from Red Hat's in-house lawyer Rob Tiller.
[/quote]

--
Rick