Re: Red Hat pays $800,000 + costs for a patent deal

From: Linonut
Subject: Re: Red Hat pays $800,000 + costs for a patent deal
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 13:19:05 -0400

* Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:

> Maybe you missed the parts where the OSS community is generally unhappy
> that Red Hat settled... and you missed the parts where Red Hat says the
> settlement covers upstream and downstream distributors, as well as the
> community.

I don't know why they should be unhappy with it.  If Free software is
going to drive business, it will have to be protected in the same way
that other business software is protected:  by paying protection money
to patent trolls and other scumbags.

RedHat's payment is a drop in the bucket compared to what other
companies (e.g. Microsoft) have paid out.

--
He is divisive. He is manipulative. He is a user. He has taken much from me and
the industry.