Re: Free software, free speech, human dignity

From: John Hasler
Subject: Re: Free software, free speech, human dignity
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 17:07:22 -0500

David Kastrup writes:
> I think if you _don't_ declare personal bankruptcy, prison is actually an
> option of the courts (if the readily accessible belongings can't cover
> your debts).

I don't think it is here.  I believe that the creditors can file a petition
for involuntary bankruptcy (one does not declare bankruptcy: one petitions
a court for it).  I think that if you attempt to ignore the whole affair
the creditors will just get court orders allowing them to seize your
property and divide it among themselves.  It would be dumb thing to do
because you would end up worse off than if you had filed a voluntary
petition but I don't think you could end up in prison.

Of course, if you tried to conceal assets you could end up in prison for
fraud, but that's a different matter.

In practice no one with enough assets to be worth fighting over would do
such a thing anyway.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org