Re: Free software, free speech, human dignity

From: John Hasler
Subject: Re: Free software, free speech, human dignity
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2008 11:44:09 -0500

David Kastrup writes:
> Seizing is hard without any cooperation, and that is where the prison may
> come in: not complying with a court order.

In the US the creditors get a court order authorizing seizure, which in
this context means taking by force.  If you punch out the deputy you'll get
arrested, but otherwise they'll just come and take your stuff (assuming you
have possessions worth seizing).  Bank accounts are easy to seize, of
course.

> I may be wrong about this, but I don't think sitting this out is an
> option.

It would be a stupid thing to do since by actively participating you could
retain assets that you would probably lose otherwise but I see no reason
you'd go to prison.  In any case the original question was about going to
prison solely due to inability to pay a debt.  That isn't going to happen
here.

David Kastrup writes:
> I don't see how you could be accused of fraud when you don't cooperate.

I don't either.  I meant stuff such as putting bank accounts in false
names, reporting things stolen when they were not, etc.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org