Re: Attorney fees

From: Hyman Rosen
Subject: Re: Attorney fees
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 11:49:50 -0400

rjack wrote:
The *recipients* of the promised code have standing as third party donee
beneficiariesto invoke promissory estoppel as plaintiffs against the
*distributors* of GPL'd code. I am certainly pleased to hear that you finally agree with my legal position.

This is what I have always claimed: The GPL terms are legally unenforceable by plaintiff-authors of GPL'd source code. When you
> release your source code under the GPL it becomes a charitable
> subscription "donation" to the general public.

The recipients may have a claim against the distributor.
That does not invalidate any claims of the copyright holders.
It simply means that there may be many ways to force a code
grabber to disgorge the source code of GPL-licensed software
that he distributes, which is the goal.