Re: SFLC's GPL court enforcement -- track record

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: SFLC's GPL court enforcement -- track record
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 20:06:20 +0200

Hyman Rosen wrote:

> Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> >  And before you mention Actiontec: sources were
> > available from Actiontec prior to SFLC sued Verizon.
>
> The complaint against Verizon is dated December 6, 2007:
> <http://www.softwarefreedom.org/news/2007/dec/07/busybox/verizon.pdf>
>
> This article says that the Actiontec FIOS router was available
> in January of 2007:
> <http://www.fibercrap.com/article/actiontec-mi424wr-router-fios-weapon-of-choice-1150-1.html>
>
> Looking for http://opensource.actiontec.com/ on the WaybackMachine
> shows that as late as Aug 2007 the software available on the site
> contained sources for a Dual PC Modem, but not for a FIOS router:
>
> August 2007:
> <http://web.archive.org/web/20070822230857/http://opensource.actiontec.com/index.html>
> Current:
> <http://opensource.actiontec.com/index.html>
>
> So it doesn't look to me as if the FIOS router firmware was
> available before the lawsuit was filed. Do you have a URL or
> other evidence that shows something different?

Try this.

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/12/07/1953217
                                       ^^^^^^^^

-------
Looking on Actiontec's "Support: Open Source" website
(http://opensource.actiontec.com/index.html [actiontec.com]), I see the
following:

GPL Code Download is available for the following Actiontec products:
Wireless Broadband Router Model MI424WR

The following is the portion of the Actiontec source code for the
MI424WR Products.

List of modules:

busybox-0.50
Release Date Filename
11/27/2007 actiontec_opensrc_mi424wr.tar.gz

Hmmm... looks like Actiontec is at least attempting to honor the
license. I haven't researched what's in the tarball, but at least it's
there.

So, again, why is SFLC suing Verizon?
-------

Then if you still have doubts go and ask Actiontec when did first appear
on web site. (The latest wayback-archived version of the site is of
08/22/2007.)

http://gng.z505.com/index.htm
too, whereas GNU cannot.)