LGPL vs. GPL

From: JohnF
Subject: LGPL vs. GPL
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 18:12:14 +0000 (UTC)

Looking for a discussion of the
  advantages/disadvantages/repercussions/anything else relevant
of re-licensing my GPL'ed code www.forkosh.com/mimetex.html
under the LGPL instead.  I've received several (a handful, not
a ton) of requests to do this, and have so far always just
replied, "No."  I understand the basic differences/distinctions
between the two licenses.  And I'm in no hurry to donate free code
to commercial projects, that will then turn around and charge me
(and you) for their programs while keeping their own code hidden
from me (and you).
     But is there some advantage to the open source community
for doing this?  The most recent email (which prompted this post)
says, "I wish to do some major work on mimetex."  And I suppose
work specifically on mimetex's code would become openly available.
Except, in mimetex's case, only very trivial work is needed to
do what this (and all previous) lgpl requests have wanted to do.
So I don't see any meaningful open source code being contributed.
Any other kind of advantage to the open source community that
I'm missing?
--
John Forkosh  ( mailto:  j@f.com  where j=john and f=forkosh )