Re: SFLC's GPL court enforcement -- track record

From: Mark Kent
Subject: Re: SFLC's GPL court enforcement -- track record
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 18:16:24 +0100

thufir <hawat.thufir@gmail.com> espoused:
> On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 17:01:14 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:
>

>> No. Whomever distributes the software is on the hook for providing the
>> source.
>>
>> You can force people to walk the chain all the way back to the
>> manufacturer, but they are still ultimately on the hook for using
>> someone elses work without proper authorization.
>
> But, if you've just got a router sitting in your window which you
> purchased on e-bay and are reselling, surely you, retailer, are not on
> the hook?  Just the manufacturer, I'd think.

That's not my understanding.  The GPL is reasonably clear on this, if
you distribute the software in binary form, such as on flash in a
router, then you must also make the source available to anyone who wants
it.  I suppose it's just possible you could negotiate with your customer
to accept it from a third party, but that hasn't been good enough in
several cases in the past.

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |