Re: SFLC's GPL court enforcement -- track record

From: Tim Smith
Subject: Re: SFLC's GPL court enforcement -- track record
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 11:58:11 -0700

In article <488A0C76.B47FECB7@web.de>,
 Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> wrote:
> Hyman Rosen wrote:
> > Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> > > http://www2.verizon.net/micro/actiontec/actiontec.asp
> >
> > <http://opensource.actiontec.com/>
>
> Actiontec wasn't a defendant. Verizon was a defendant.
>
> After the case ends: Defendant is still in violation of the GPL.
>
> After the case ends: Defendant still doesn't make GPL'd sources
> available.

The GPL requirement is:

   3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it,
   under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms
   of Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the
   following:

      a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable
    source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections
    1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software
    interchange; or,

      b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three
    years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your cost
    of physically performing source distribution, a complete
    machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be
    distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium
    customarily used for software interchange; or,

[Third option deleted as it is only relevant to noncommercial
distribution]

I don't see how you can tell if they are satisfying 3(b) or not without
actually obtaining one of the routers from Verizon and seeing if it is
accompanied with a written offer to provide the source.  If it is, there
is nothing that says that if they choose to distribute by the web, it
has to be from a verizon.com web site.

--
--Tim Smith