Re: [Fwd: Request to mailing list Advocate rejected]

From: Bob Proulx
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 23:56:48 -0400

Jeff Shippen wrote:
> What does this list have to do with Advocate Play Ogg list?
>     Posting of your message titled "Re: [Advocate Play Ogg] Tactics"
> has been rejected by the list moderator.  The moderator gave the
> following reason for rejecting your request:
>
> "Hi -- in keeping with the new list policy, please send general
> comments and discussion to gnu-misc-discuss@gnu.org, and questions for
> the FSF staff specifically to campaigns@fsf.org.  Thanks for your
> interest.

The content of the advocate mailing list was recently clarified.
Paraphrased from memory: The advocate mailing list is for news and
action announcements from the PlayOgg.org campaign.  It is supposed to
be a low volume mailing list for postings only from FSF staff.

But there was some miscommunication and it was being treated as a
discussion list.  So for a while replies were being sent through.  But
now are replies blocked and moderators are redirecting them.

Karl asked the campaigns manager where replies should be directed and
the two suggestions proposed to the volunteer list helpers to redirect
people to were either campaigns@fsf.org for feedback about postings or
to gnu-misc-discuss if it seems they want to start a bigger
discussion.  Your posting was probably discussion and therefore it
fell to gnu-misc-discuss as the suggestion for the best place to
discuss it.

Is there a better mailing list to redirect people to for discussion of
free media formats?  I don't see an ogg specific list and therefore
the misc list was the default answer.

Bob