Re: softwarecombinations paper again Re: LGPL vs. GPL

From: Hyman Rosen
Subject: Re: softwarecombinations paper again Re: LGPL vs. GPL
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 16:40:12 -0400

Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:
I did.  It's drivel.  Next.
[Well, I skimmed it, but it was quickly obvious that
> a skim is all it deserved.]

Mostly, it says that if someone wants to fight the restrictions
of the GPL while continuing to distribute software containing
code licensed by it, there are a number of ways to do so, and
it's going to take a court to sort it all out and it could go
either way. It mentions the first-sale workaround too.

I don't see why it would be considered "drivel". I expect that
the GPL would fare pretty well in court these days, because on
its side it has the enormous success of Linux and the various
vendors who are happily distributing GPLed code and making money,
but you never know.