William Patry Copyright Blog

From: rjack
Subject: William Patry Copyright Blog
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2008 13:52:02 -0400

Note: Professor William Patry published *Patry on Copyright* - a seven-volume treatise on copyright law.

William Patry Copyright blog (8/3/2008):
http://williampatry.blogspot.com/

[begin quote]

I have decided to end the blog, after doing around 800 postings over about 4
years. I regret closing the blog and I owe readers an explanation. There are two reasons...

2. The Current State of Copyright Law is too depressing...

Copyright law has abandoned its reason for being: to encourage learning and the
creation of new works. Instead, its principal functions now are to preserve existing failed business models, to suppress new business models and technologies, and to obtain, if possible, enormous windfall profits from activity that not only causes no harm, but which is beneficial to copyright owners. Like Humpty-Dumpty, the copyright law we used to know can never be put back together again: multilateral and trade agreements have ensured that, and quite deliberately.

[end quote]

Sincerely,
Rjack