NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 6 August NYCBUG: Matthew Burnside on bad interactio

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 6 August NYCBUG: Matthew Burnside on bad interaction of ssh and sudo, and a fix, Public Key sudo
Date: 5 Aug 2008 16:42:44 -0400

  what="official NYCBUG announcement">

 Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 13:31:21 -0400
 To: announce@lists.nycbug.org
 From: NYC*BUG Announcements <announce@lists.nycbug.org>
 Subject: [announce] NYC*BUG: Wednesday on Public Key sudo

 August 06, 2008
 Public Key sudo

 6:30pm, Suspenders Restaurant
 http://www.suspendersbar.com/location.php

 Two tools which have become the norm in Linux- and Unix-based
 environments are SSH for secure communications, and sudo for performing
 administrative tasks. These are independent programs with substantially
 different purposes, but they are often used in conjunction. In this
 talk, I describe a flaw in their interaction, and then present our
 solution called public-key sudo.

 Public-key sudo is an extension to the sudo authentication mechanism
 which allows for public key authentication using the SSH public key
 framework. I describe our implementation of a generic SSH authentication
 module and the sudo modifications required to use this module.

 Bio

 Matthew Burnside is a Ph.D. student in the Computer Science department
 at Columbia University, in New York. He works for Professor Angelos
 Keromytis in the Network Security Lab (http://nsl.cs.columbia.edu/). He
 received his B.A and M.Eng from MIT in 2000, and 2002, respectively. His
 research interests are in network anonymity, trust management, and
 enterprise-scale policy enforcement.