Re: The GPL dream is finally over!

From: Rjack
Subject: Re: The GPL dream is finally over!
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 20:17:19 -0400

Rex Ballard wrote:
On Aug 16, 4:31 pm, Linonut <lino...@bollsouth.nut> wrote:
* Rjack peremptorily fired off this memo:

My dream is that Eben, RMS, and all GPL true believers read and
understand this decision so that we need never again hear the
nonsense claim that "The GPL is a license and not a contract".

A Copyright license is very much LIKE a contract, and it is as legally
binding as a contract, however, there aren't a set of conditions that
fulfill the contract at which point it is no longer necessary to honor
the terms and conditions of the license.

Yep. . . A car is very much like an automobile too. . .

Is is really that painful to admit that a copyright license *is* a contract. Why the elaborate simile (i.e. using the comparative "LIKE")?

Sincerely,
Rjack

-- "Whether express or implied, a license *is* a contract 'governed
by ordinary principles of state contract law.'"; McCoy v.
Mitsuboshi Cutlery, Inc., 67. F.3d 917, (United States Court of
Appeals for the Federal Circuit 1995) --

Sincerely,
Rjack