Re: public domain to GPL?

From: amicus_curious
Subject: Re: public domain to GPL?
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 15:38:27 -0400

"Alexander Terekhov" <terekhov@web.de> wrote in message 48CA9B83.3349C96B@web.de">news:48CA9B83.3349C96B@web.de...

You can assert a copyright on the work as a
whole where you have made some unique changes to the original expression,

Wrong. You can assert a copyright on some unique changes to the original
work but that is less than the work as a whole (new expression +
original expression).

I agree. My intent was to say that a work that was otherwise public domain and extended in some useful way cannot be copied as a whole since part of it contains new, copyrightable material. The copyright only pertains, as you point out, to the new part, but putting the two together is protected.