Re: Is public domain possible?

From: Tim Smith
Subject: Re: Is public domain possible?
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 17:50:13 -0700

In article
<8f83183d-5b17-40dd-a9d9-f93d4279230c@l64g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,
 Jerry <story.jerry@gmail.com> wrote:

> On this page ...
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/categories.html
>
> Under: "Public domain software" ...
>
> Is this statement:
>
> --- [ begin quote ] ---
> Under the Berne Convention, which most countries have signed, anything
> written down is automatically copyrighted. This includes programs.

That statement is not quite correct.  For example, I wrote down a
grocery list the other day, and it did not automatically become
copyrighted, as it is not sufficiently original to be eligible for
copyright protection.

A better statement would be that a work that is eligible for copyright
protection becomes copyrighted as soon as it is written down.

--
--Tim Smith