Copyright vs Open Source

From: Mike Jervis
Subject: Copyright vs Open Source
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 07:31:41 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I'm involved in an open source project. Licenced under the GPL for the
most part, but odd pieces are under other licences for historic
reasons. ZLIB for example.

We have recently had a fork, a new project has spun off. Which is fine
and health etc.

However, I'm a little disconcerted to see that they have batch
processed all source code and claimed copyright to all files, with a
note that it's "based on" work from the original project which was
copyright by {list of original authors}.

My gut feeling is that this is wrong (especially since actually
they've posted copyright 2002-2008 and the fork happened in 2008.) but
there's probably nothing to be done about it.

I guess I'm just miffed that they appear to be claiming copyright for
source modules to which I am the copyright holder.

Opinions?

Mike