Re: Battle for Wesnoth relicensing

From: Hyman Rosen
Subject: Re: Battle for Wesnoth relicensing
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 12:45:05 -0400

Alexander Terekhov wrote:
Section 103 of the Copyright Act allocates ownership rights to
> authorized derivative works to the author to incentivize

I fail to see where the copyright act specifies this, or any
other reason. Section 103 merely defines the separation of the
copyrights on a derivative or collective work from the copyrights
on the original work. No incentives are mentioned.

Section 2(b) of the GPL would seek to prohibit activities that
> Section 106 of the Copyright has not reserved for copyright owners

While the right to create a collective work is not restricted
to the copyright holder, it hardly matters in the case of the
GPL, because you have no right to copy the GPLed portion of the
collective work except as the GPL allows, and the only way to
do that is to license the collective work as a whole under the
GPL. It doesn't much matter even in more traditional cases. If
I create an anthology of short stories, I can't distribute it
without the permission of the copyright holder of each story.
It's quite possible that some story has been released with a
license that says "you may include and copy this story in an
anthology at no charge provided that the entire anthology is
distributed under the same terms" and then that would apply if
I wanted to include the story.