Re: Battle for Wesnoth relicensing

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Battle for Wesnoth relicensing
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 20:00:07 +0200

Hyman Rosen wrote:

> Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> > Did I really miss the breaking news
>
> I expect that the collection of programs that make up
> a SUSE disk is a collective work while a program built
> with GPLed components is a compilation. The former has
> distribution permission from the GPL under the "mere
> aggregation" terms while the latter does not.

Are you okay, Hyman?

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Page:H.R._Rep._No._94-1476_(1976)_Page_188.djvu

------
A “compilation” is a work formed by the collection and assembling of
pre-existing materials or of data that are selected, coordinated, or
arranged in such a way that the resulting work as a whole constitutes an
original work of authorship. The term “compilation” includes collective
works.
------

The term “compilation” includes collective works.

The term “compilation” includes collective works.

The term “compilation” includes collective works.

The term “compilation” includes collective works.

The term “compilation” includes collective works.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/101.html

------
A “collective work” is a work, such as a periodical issue, anthology, or
encyclopedia, in which a number of contributions, constituting separate
and independent works in themselves, are assembled into a collective
whole.

A “compilation” is a work formed by the collection and assembling of
preexisting materials or of data that are selected, coordinated, or
arranged in such a way that the resulting work as a whole constitutes an
original work of authorship. The term “compilation” includes collective
works.
------

The term “compilation” includes collective works.

The term “compilation” includes collective works.

The term “compilation” includes collective works.

The term “compilation” includes collective works.

The term “compilation” includes collective works.

http://gng.z505.com/index.htm
too, whereas GNU cannot.)