Re: Battle for Wesnoth relicensing

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Battle for Wesnoth relicensing
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 23:51:29 +0200

Hyman Rosen wrote:
[...]
> book publishing, it is extremely common for one publisher to
> buy hardcover rights and for another to buy paperback rights.

Hyman, Hyman. Show me a single case where a hardcover lisensee was found
liable under copyright law for publishing cheaper paperback version.
Hint: the contract damages counting each paperback copy as substitute
for a hardcover copy to calculate royalties fully compensate the
licensor. Or are you talking about the case of paperback lisensee's
breach resulting from selling hardcovers instead of paperbacks? Same
contract damages arise here.

You're really not okay, Hyman.

"Paperbacks can be the preferred medium when a book is not expected to
be a major seller, or in other situations where the publisher wishes to
release a book without putting forth a large investment. Examples
include many novels, and new editions or reprintings of older books.
Publishers must balance the larger profit to be made by selling a small
number of hardcovers (including sales to libraries, which prefer
hardcovers) with a large profit per unit -- against the potentially
larger profit to be made by selling a large number of paperbacks with a
small profit per unit. Many modern books, especially genre fiction, are
first editions in paperback. It is only the best-selling of books, such
as 2003's The Da Vinci Code, which can maintain its sales in hardcover
sufficiently to delay a paperback edition for longer than a year."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paperback

http://gng.z505.com/index.htm
too, whereas GNU cannot.)