Re: GPL propaganda

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GPL propaganda
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 19:27:16 +0200

RonB <ronb02nospam@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 19:38:23 -0500, Rjack wrote:
>
>> 2) Do care about GPL advocates stealing other people's exclusive
>> rights with an illegal copyright license.
>
> GPL advocates copyright their own code, which is their right under the
> GPL -- or don't you agree with that?

Actually, I don't agree.  GPL advocates _have_ copyright to their own
code, which is their right as a citizen of one of the Berne convention
undersigning countries.  Nothing to do with the GPL up to here.  They
may choose to _license_ their work to others under the GPL (or any other
license they choose).  The GPL does not give them any right, using it
exercises it.  When licensing their copyrighted works to others, they
grant those others certain rights.  Those others may avail themselves of
those rights or refrain from it, at their choice.

> If someone steals someone else's rights, than it's not an issue of the
> GPL, but an issue of standard copyright law. The benefits of using the
> GPL license is that you get to use a lot of code, for free. To do so,
> you have to share your code. Is that too complicated for you? Is it
> somehow unfair in your estimation?

It is a highly inaccurate description of the situation.