NYC LOCAL: Thursday 23 October 2008 NYLUG: Paul Charles Leddy on Asteris

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Thursday 23 October 2008 NYLUG: Paul Charles Leddy on Asterisk, the Free Software Telephone System
Date: 22 Oct 2008 11:51:24 -0400

  what="official NYLUG announcement"
  edits="">

 From: NYLUG Announcements <info@nylug.org>
 To: NYLUG Announcements <nylug-announce@nylug.org>
 Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 16:34:20 -0400 (EDT)
 Subject: [nylug-announce] NYLUG Oct 23 Meeting 6:30PM, Paul Charles Leddy on a
Technical Overview of Asterisk

 Thursday, October 23, 2008
 6:30pm-8:00 PM
 IBM
 590 Madison Ave, 12th Floor
 corner of 57th Street

 ** RSVP Closes at 4:30pm the day of the meeting (sharp!) ***
 Please RSVP for EVERY meeting at this time.
 Register at http://rsvp.nylug.org/
 Check in with photo ID at the lobby for badge.

                          Paul Charles Leddy
                                - on -
              The Asterisk Free Software Telephone System

 Please join us Thursday October 23 for a demonstration and overview of
 Asterisk, a Free Software implementation of a telephone switch.

 What is a switch?  Well, it's the essential core of a phone company.
 It's also what lets you dial 42 on your phone at work and be connected to
 the person who knows everything. Wait, that's you?

 Paul Charles Leddy will be guiding us through a technical overview of how
 Asterisk works, rather than an overview of how to use it.  This talk will
 be of interest to anyone interested in how a PBX works, as well as those
 interested in building their own Asterisk PBX.

 We'll start with a look at the various things Asterisk does, and work our
 way through setting up extensions, VoIP, SIP, IAX, and call routing.

 More Information:
  * Asterisk Web Site
    http://www.asterisk.org/

  * Alex Pilosov's Asterisk presentation in 2003
    http://nylug.org/meetings/index.shtml?20030700

 About Paul Charles Leddy:
   Paul Charles Leddy is someone who likes to make things go. He had planned
   on becoming an electrical engineer after Tulane, but dropped out, turned
   to music, rode the Internet Bubble, and then settled into a life as a
   Linux sysadmin. You'll find him around Portland and New York.

 Meeting Location:
   Please note that this meeting will be held at IBM, 590 Madison Ave,
   12th floor, corner of 57th Street, and not at Google.  This is
   the building with the IBM logo on the front of the building.

 Map:
   http://nylug.org/mapofibm

 Books!!!
   Our friends at Prentice-Hall kindly provide us with review copies
   of various new titles.  One of these could be yours, all you have
   to do is agree to review the book within a reasonable period of
   time.

 Swag (Give Away):
   During/after the meeting... unusually terrific swag may be given
   away.

 Stammtisch:
   After the meeting ... You may wish to join up with other NYLUGgers
   over at TGI Fridays located at 677 Lexington Avenue and 56th
   Street, second floor. Northeast corner.

 Python Workshops:
   We are rounding up a group that wants to learn Python.  This would
   be a great time to attend our workshop.

   The workshops meet every other Tuesday, at the NY Public Library,
   Hudson Park Branch.  66 Leroy St. NY NY from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
   Next meetings are October 28th followed by November 11th.
   See the calendar at: http://nylug.org/pythoncalendar

 Please see our home page at http://www.nylug.org for the HTMLized
 version of this announcement, our archives, and a lot of other good
 stuff.