Re: SFLC's GPL court enforcement -- track record

From: Hyman Rosen
Subject: Re: SFLC's GPL court enforcement -- track record
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 16:35:04 -0400

Alexander Terekhov wrote:
What say you now, Hyman?

I say that companies which distribute software licensed
under the GPL must comply with the terms of the GPL where
copyright would not otherwise permit them to do this.

The SFLC acts on behalf of clients who claim that their
software is being distributed improperly.

After each case brought by the SFLC has ended, the source
code of the GPLed software has been made available (in the
Verizon case, by the manufacturer of the routers). In some
cases, the companies involved have agreed to take some
additional steps to help them stay in compliance. In some
cases, money may have changed hands. The amounts are not
public knowledge, nor should they be.

I have no idea what you think you're getting at by these
repetitions. I have no idea what situation it is you feel
that I have failed to grasp. I know that in my cursory
research of the Verizon/Actiontec case I saw that Actiontec
was distributing GPLed software for a long time before they
began distributing the sources. I assume the same was true
for the other companies. The companies are asked to comply
with the GPL and eventually they do and the cases end.