Re: Artifex v. Diebold: "The GPL is non-commercial!"

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Artifex v. Diebold: "The GPL is non-commercial!"
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 17:34:56 +0100

David Kastrup wrote:

> Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> writes:
>
> > Hyman Rosen wrote:

> >>  > The GPL is not the copyright law, don't you agree with that, Hyman?
> >>
> >> Copyright law forbids Diebold from making copies of Ghostscript
> >> and distributing them. In order to do so legally, they must have
> >> permission from the copyright holder. That permission comes either
> >   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> >> from the GPL or from a separate license agreement with Artifex.
> >                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > "or from a separate license agreement with Artifex."
> >
> > Hyman, Hyman.
> >
> > http://ghostscript.com/doc/current/COPYING itself states:
> >
> > "5. You are not required to accept this License, since you have not
> > signed it.  However, nothing else grants you permission to modify or
> > distribute the Program or its derivative works."
> >
> > "nothing else grants you permission"
> >
> > "nothing else grants you permission"
> >
> > "nothing else grants you permission"
> >
> > Ha, ha.
>
> I suppose you really must be as dense as you appear if you harp like
> that on this sentence.  It does not mean "nothing and nobody else can

It means what it says. And it says

"nothing else grants you permission"

[... 5c ...]

Where did you find 5c in http://ghostscript.com/doc/current/COPYING
GNUtian dak?

GPLv3 Section 5 (formerly known as 2 in GPLv2) is about FSF's utterly
idiotic theory about "combined" works being derivative works in the GNU
republic and 5c is about linking (aka "runtime") "exceptions" a la

http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~etsman/Docs/gcc-3.4-base/libstdc++/html/17_intro/license.html

meant to make the GPL + "exception" less infectious than the plain GPL.

BTW, speaking of GPLv3, it also says:

"nothing other than this License grants you permission to propagate or
modify any covered work"

Ha, ha.

http://gng.z505.com/index.htm
too, whereas GNU cannot.)