Re: Microsoft needs a help strategy

From: amicus_curious
Subject: Re: Microsoft needs a help strategy
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 15:55:38 -0500

"David Kastrup" <dak@gnu.org> wrote in message 85y6wvmaww.fsf@lola.goethe.zz">news:85y6wvmaww.fsf@lola.goethe.zz...
"amicus_curious" <ACDC@sti.net> writes:

"David Kastrup" <dak@gnu.org> wrote in message
85bptrnsam.fsf@lola.goethe.zz">news:85bptrnsam.fsf@lola.goethe.zz...

The recipient of GPLed software is free to declare the GPL void and
revert to default copyright rules.

What is at issue today, though, is the nature of such "default
copyright rules".  If there is no fee charged to use the work or to
redistribute the work, the copyright can be ignored unless the author
can show some degree of harm to himself.

Since when?  If I send a personal letter to someone, I don't charge a
fee for it.  He still is not authorized for redistributing my letter or
using its content in publications of his.

I don't see where that has any bearing on the issue, whether it is true or not. If you send me a letter, I think that I am free to show it to anyone as I see fit. Any set of words on a piece of paper do not qualify as a "unique expression, fixed in a media".