Re: Microsoft needs a help strategy

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Microsoft needs a help strategy
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 23:47:48 +0100

ZnU <znu@fake.invalid> writes:

> I understand that the FSF is really, really hung up on every detail of
> the GPL, but frankly, they're fanatics.

Fanatics have copyright like everybody else.

> If this specific provision of the GPL was invalidated for some reason,
> very few users or developers of GPL software would be impacted in any
> material way.

It is always very few who actually make a difference.  In the case of
the Linux kernel, just a few thousand.  In the case of the GNU system,
just a few ten thousand.  A tiny fraction of the hundreds of millions
who actually use all the stuff.

But the stop the few from doing their work, and the system breaks down
for everybody.